Casper makes some of the best high-quality mattresses in a box that you can buy online in 2021 (learn why in my Casper mattress pros v cons review here).
But if you’ve personally decided that you don’t want to buy a Casper mattress, then you might be wondering what the best Casper mattress alternatives are.
The best mattresses that are like Casper’s are the Puffy Lux Hybrid (very similar to the Casper Nova Hybrid), the Amerisleep AS3 (an all-foam alternative to the Casper Original), and the SweetNight Twilight (a hybrid alternative to the Casper Element that’s very well priced).
The rest of this article looks more in-depth at the top 3 Casper mattress alternatives to help you decide which mattress is right for you.
Important disclaimer: I’m not saying that any of the mattresses listed in this article are any better or worse than Casper’s – nor am I telling you to buy a specific brand instead of Casper’s. I’m just presenting you with some alternatives that you might want to consider if you’ve already decided that you don’t want a Casper mattress. Click here to see 15 more alternatives.
3 Casper Mattress Alternatives
Below are 3 other mattresses that you might like to consider buying if you don’t want to buy any of Casper’s mattresses, but you want them to have similar qualities.
The recommendations come by way of my own personal experiences of sleeping on them, and/or my personal knowledge and insights of how mattresses tend to feel based on their qualities and properties.
Click the links and red buttons below to learn more about each mattress in my in-depth reviews.
1: Puffy Lux Hybrid – Best Overall Alternative
I personally think that the Puffy Lux Hybrid is the best alternative to the Casper Wave Hybrid, Casper Nova Hybrid, and the Casper Original Hybrid because it’s a thick, 12-inch mattress that has both springs and memory foam to suit front, back, and side sleepers under 230 lbs.
However, even though the Puffy Lux Hybrid is a ‘medium’ firmness mattress, I found it to be a lot softer and more forgiving when compared to other medium mattresses that I’ve slept on.
Therefore, I would say that the Puffy Lux Hybrid is most similar in feel to the Casper Nova Hybrid – making it the best alternative if you’re a strict side sleeper.
See below for more specific details on who can benefit from buying and sleeping on the Puffy Lux Hybrid – or check out my full Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress review here.
Specifically Recommended For:
- Side sleepers – the Puffy Lux Hybrid excels at providing pressure relief on your hips and shoulders as you sleep on your side to alleviate joint pain and muscular discomfort better than other spring mattresses typically can.
- Front and back sleepers – if you weigh less than 230 lbs then you’ll likely feel well supported in the Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress when you sleep on your front or back. I personally find both sleeping positions comfortable.
- Couples – the Puffy Lux Hybrid is silent. I never hear any noise or feel any disturbing movements when me or my bed partner turn over. This is thanks to the thick foam, 12-inch profile, and the springs that are wrapped up individually so that shock waves can’t be felt as you move.
- Sleepers with back pain and sciatica – the adaptive foams and contoured support provided by the springs can help to reduce pressure points and maintain good posture so that your back hurts less. Sciatica sufferers may benefit especially due to the reduction in pressure on your sciatic nerve.
2: Amerisleep AS3 – Best Memory Foam Alternative
I think that the Amerisleep AS3 all-foam mattress is the best alternative to the Casper Original mattress because the AS3 is a medium firmness mattress that also uses proprietary cooling, response, and zoned support foams to provide a high-quality sleep experience that can benefit front, back, and side sleepers – as well as warmer sleepers and those that require exceptional pressure relief.
The AS3 can also be purchased in a hybrid variation if you’d like more bounce and responsiveness – which is ideal for heavier weighted and combination sleepers that need a mattress with more buoyancy and feedback.
More details on who can specifically benefit from the AS3 all-foam mattress are listed below:
Specifically Recommended For:
- Lighter weighted sleepers – even though this is a medium firmness mattress, the all-foam design and adaptive memory foam allows you to sink just enough into the materials without getting swallowed up so that your body weight is distributed more evenly to reduce pressure points and stop you from feeling like you’re resting on the ‘top’ of the materials.
- Warmer sleepers – if you tend to sleep warmer at night then rather than avoiding memory foam completely, the breathable design of the AS3 means that you won’t overheat and you can still enjoy the adaptive pressure relief of this memory foam mattress. But if overheating is a real concern for you, then opting for the hybrid version is the better choice because the coils will allow for increased airflow for better heat dissipation.
- Couples – the all-foam design of the AS3 makes it ideal for couples because the lack of springs means that movements are absorbed more fully so that you don’t feel each other moving around as you might in a traditional spring mattress. But noise and movement shouldn’t be an issue either in the AS3 hybrid because the coils are individually encased to displace movement more effectively than the fused core of a regular spring mattress.
- Skinny sleepers – if you have a lower body fat percentage then the pressure relief afforded by the foam will help to make you feel more comfortable on the more angular regions of your body like your elbows, ribs, hips, shoulders, and knees.
3: Sweet Night Twilight – Best Budget Alternative
I personally think that the best budget alternative to Casper’s Element mattress is the Sweet Night Twilight because it’s one of the cheapest hybrid mattresses that you can buy online that still has excellent qualities that makes it suitable for front, back, and side sleepers as well as couples.
Check out my full list of SweetNight mattress reviews to discover why the Twilight is my #1 rated Sweet Night mattress and to get the maximum discount using our special code.
Or see below for a quick summary of who should buy this mattress:
Specifically Recommended For:
- Heavier weighted sleepers – if you weigh more than 200 lbs, then the hybrid construction of the Twilight can help to keep you well supported better than some all-foam mattresses can.
- Front, back, and side sleepers – the foam and spring combination means that all the major sleeping positions can be accommodated in this mattress.
- Edge sleepers – if you hug the edge of the bed when you sleep, then the reinforced edges will help to stop you from sinking too far into the mattress and feel like you’re going to roll out.
- Combination and restless sleepers – if you tend to toss and turn at night then the foam can soothe the pressure points that may be causing you to shuffle around, whilst the bounce of the springs can make it easier to switch positions as required.
- Budget shoppers – the Twilight is very well priced and is a fraction of the price of many of the bigger brand names but still retains the quality so that you’re getting a comfortable and durable mattress that will last.
How to Find a Casper Mattress Alternative
Below is a concise guide that reveals the qualities of each of Casper’s mattresses and what you should look for in an alternative mattress if you want similar qualities and performance.
But it’s important to note that Casper uses their own unique foam construction and formulas, so getting an exact replica won’t be 100% possible.
Casper Wave Hybrid
The Casper Wave Hybrid is a 13-inch medium-firm hybrid spring and foam mattress that is ideal for helping those with back pain sleep more comfortably and is suitable for front, back, and side sleepers.
To find an alternative to the Casper Wave Hybrid mattress that still retains the same qualities, then you should look for a medium-firm mattress that has springs in the support core, adaptive memory foam in the comfort layer, a cooling gel foam top layer, and zoned support in the transition layer.
However, finding a mattress that’s EXACTLY like the Casper Wave Hybrid may be challenging because Casper uses proprietary materials like Zoned Support™ Max + gel pods and AirScape™ cooling gel to make their mattresses unique.
Casper Nova Hybrid
The Casper Nova Hybrid is a 12-inch medium-soft mattress that is made of polyfoam, memory foam, and springs – making it ideal for side sleepers due to it’s slightly softer feel that can help to alleviate the pressure on your hips and shoulders for a more comfortable night’s rest.
The Zoned Support™ Pro and AirScape™ makes the Casper Nova unique, but if you’re looking for an alternative that’s very similar, then you should choose a thicker mattress with a medium-soft feel that has adaptive memory foam in the top layer to cushion your hips and shoulders, and individually wrapped coils in the support core to keep you in good posture.
Casper Original Mattress
The Casper Original is an 11 inch, medium-firm mattress available in both all-foam and hybrid spring-foam versions – making it collectively suitable for all sleeping styles and positions.
The Zoned Support™ and AirScape™ technology utilized by Casper makes their Original mattress unique.
But if you’re after something similar then you’ll want to look for either an all-foam mattress with memory foam in the top layer and polyfoam in the base layer, or memory foam in the top layer and individually wrapped coils in the support core.
The Casper Element is a 10 inch all-polyfoam mattress that’s best suited to front, back, and side sleepers under 230 lbs that are looking for a budget mattress that’s affordable.
The AirScape™ foam used by Casper makes the Element unique, but if you’re looking for an alternative then look for an all-foam mattress that’s made from higher density polyfoam that also has breathable qualities such as perforations or cooling gel infusions to help regulate your temperature.
Image Attribution and Licencing
All images are provided by their respective vendors and used with permission under the terms of several private affiliate agreements.
Dan is the founder and head content creator at Bedroom Style Reviews.
He has been working as a professional online product reviewer since 2015 and was inspired to start this website when he ended up sleeping on a memory foam mattress that was too soft and gave him backache.
Through in-depth research and analysis, Dan’s goal with this website is to help others avoid such pitfalls by creating the best online resource for helping you find your ideal mattress, bedding, and bedroom furniture.
Dan is a qualified NVQ Level 2 Fitness Instructor with 6 years’ experience helping clients improve their health through diet, exercise, and proper sleep hygiene.
He also holds several college and university-level qualifications in health sciences, psychology, mathematics, art, and digital media creation – which helps him to publish well researched and informative product reviews as well as articles on sleep, health, wellbeing, and home decor.
Dan also has direct personal experience with insomnia, anxiety, misophonia (hypersensitivity to sounds), and pain from both acute and long-standing sporting injuries – he enjoys writing insightful articles around these subjects to help fellow sufferers of such conditions.
Learn more about Dan here.