Mattress Firm has more than 2,000 stores in 49 states – making them America’s largest mattress retailer.
But which Mattress Firm mattress is the best for you?
And should you buy from a store or online?
Those are the questions that I’ll be answering in my Mattress Firm review to help you find your ideal mattress at an affordable price with minimal hassle.
Let’s jump straight into the list of the best mattresses to buy from Mattress Firm in 2020.
6 Top Rated Mattress Firm Mattresses
Below are the top 6 best mattresses that you can buy online at Mattress Firm based on their customer reviews and my assessment of how well they fit the needs of specific sleeper types.
For the vast majority of sleepers, the Sealy Hybrid Essentials will be suitable but if you have more specific needs such as being a heavier weighted sleeper over 230 lbs or if you’re specifically looking for an all-foam memory foam mattress or an air bed then some of the other entries may be better for you.
Click the red button below each review to check the current price and buy that mattress directly from Mattress Firm online now.
1: Sealy Hybrid Essentials – Best Overall
I have picked the Sealy Hybrid Essentials™ Trust II 12″ Medium Mattress as the best mattress to buy online from Mattress Firm overall because not only does it have a 4.7/5 rating based on 320 real customer reviews at the time of writing, it’s also a very well rounded mattress that should cater to nearly all sleeping positions and styles.
More specifically, the memory foam comfort layer combines with the spring core to provide a mixture of pressure relief and support that is ideal for front, back, side, and combination sleepers – for both single sleepers and couples alike.
See below for a more in-depth review of the Sealy Hybrid Essentials™ Trust II 12″ Medium Mattress and click the red button to check the price and order this mattress now from Mattress Firm directly online.
- Design: hybrid – memory foam over springs.
- Firmness: medium.
- Thickness: 12 inches.
- Front sleepers – if you’re a front/stomach sleeper then the surface tension provided by the medium level of firmness combined with the adaptive support can help to keep your hips in their proper alignment to guard against back pain.
- Side sleepers – if you sleep on your side you’ll be able to experience deep pressure relief on your hips and shoulders thanks to the Sealy ComfortSense™ gel memory foam comfort layer and the UltraStretch knit cover that collectively adapt to your unique body shape.
- Back sleepers – the Sealy Response Pro™ coils adapt individually to your body weight to provide adaptive support to keep your spine and joints well supported as you sleep on your back.
- Warmer sleepers – if you tend to sleep warm then the spacious coil core can help to dissipate heat whilst the Sealy ComfortSense™ foam is designed to be both cooling and breathable for better temperature regulation.
- Couples – the Sealy Response Pro™ coils are individually wrapped and combine with the dense memory foam comfort layer to dampen the shock waves created when you and your partner move around during the night.
- Combination sleepers – the underlying bounce of the springs means that there’s enough buoyancy to allow you to switch positions easily without getting stuck in the memory foam.
- Restless sleepers – if you tend to toss and turn at night then the memory foam can help to soothe the pressure points that may be causing this, whilst the springs give enough resilience to facilitate a smooth transition between sleeping positions.
- Back pain – the Sealy Hybrid Essentials™ Trust II 12″ Medium Mattress works with a wide range of adjustable bases available to purchase through mattress firm; an adjustable base may help to alleviate back pain for some sleepers, along with other conditions like acid reflux, sleep apnea, and snoring.
2: Beautyrest Beyond – Best For Side Sleepers
If you’re a strict side sleeper and/or you weigh less than 150 lbs then the best Mattress Firm mattress for you is likely going to be the Beautyrest Beyond Plush Pillow Top Mattress because the softer feel allows you to sink more deeply into the materials to experience greater pressure relief on your hips, shoulders, and inside your joints too for greater comfort.
See below for more details and click the red button to see the current price and check for discounts now.
- Design: hybrid – memory foam over springs.
- Firmness: plush (soft).
- Thickness: 15.25 inches.
- Side sleepers – the plush level of firmness combines with the pillow top and AirCool™ High-Density Memory Foam to provide a deep level of pressure relief on your shoulders and your hips by molding to your exact body shape to dissipate pressure better than a firmer mattress typically can.
- Back sleepers – if you’re a back sleeper under 230 lbs and/or you know that you like a softer mattress then you’ll be able to sink into the pillow top for a more enveloping feel whilst still experiencing excellent support from the Beyond Series 5X™ Support Technology zoned support system.
- Lightweight sleepers – the plush feel and soft pillow top allows you to sink more deeply into the materials as a lighter weighted sleeper under 150 lbs which can help to reduce the internal compression forces in your joints for enhanced comfort.
3: Sealy Hybrid Premium – Best For Heavy Sleepers
If you’re a heavy sleeper over 230 lbs then the best mattress to buy from Mattress Firm is likely the Hybrid Premium™ Silver Chill 14″ Firm Mattress because the firm feel, strong support core, and deeper 14-inch profile can help to guard against sinkage and keep you well supported – especially in the front and back sleeping positions.
See below for more details and click the red button to check the current price and to see if there are any special discounts running on the Hybrid Premium™ mattress.
- Design: hybrid – memory foam over springs.
- Firmness: firm.
- Thickness: 14 inches.
- Heavy sleepers – if you weigh more than 230 lbs then you’ll feel well supported in the Sealy Hybrid Premium™ Silver Chill mattress thanks to the firmer feel and Response Pro™ HD Zoned Coil System that can help to guard against excessive sinkage.
- Front sleepers – the increased surface tension and the resilience of the coils means that you can sleep on your front/stomach without having to worry about your hips sinking in too far.
- Back sleepers – the zoned coil support systems means that you’ll be able to experience more support around your lower back and hips when you sleep on your back to help guard against discomfort.
- Combination sleepers – if you switch positions often during the night then you’ll be able to do this easily thanks to the firmer feel and bounce of the coils that will prevent you from getting stuck in the mattress materials.
- Edge sleepers – if you tend to sleep close to the edge of the bed then the DuraFlex™ Coil Edge System can help to stop you from feeling like you’re rolling out and allow you to make full use of the mattress area.
4: Serta iComfort – Best Memory Foam Mattress
The best memory foam mattress that you can buy from Mattress Firm is likely the Serta iComfort CF3000 12″ Medium Mattress because it appeals to a wide range of sleeping styles (especially couples, side, skinny, and lighter weighted sleepers) and is reinforced with several cooling features to help regulate your temperature and ward off overheating.
See my review summary below and then click the red button to check the current pricing of the Serta iComfort CF3000 12″ Medium Mattress now.
- Design: all-foam – memory foam and polyfoam.
- Firmness: medium.
- Thickness: 12 inches.
- Side sleepers – the Carbon Fiber Memory Foam and Deep Reaction ™ Max Memory Foam combine to provide a highly adaptive foam surface that allows your shoulders and hips to sink deeply into the materials for maximum pressure dissipation and comfort as you sleep on your side.
- Back sleepers – if you’re a back sleeper then you’ll likely enjoy how the memory foam adjusts to your individual body shape to fill in the gaps around your lower back, shoulder blades, and spine to keep you well supported.
- Lighter weight sleepers – if you weigh less than 150 lbs then the all-foam design means that you can sink further into the materials to experience deeper pressure dissipation in your joints.
- Sleepers with lower body fat percentages – if you’re a ‘skinny’ sleeper then the adaptive qualities of the memory foam means that you’ll experience greater pressure relief on the more angular regions of your body when compared to a firmer mattress that doesn’t have a memory foam top layer.
- Couples – the all-foam design is optimal for absorbing movements and eliminating noise so that you can both sleep undisturbed as you switch positions during the night.
5: Beautyrest Silver – Best Air Mattress
The best air mattress to buy from Mattress Firm is likely the Beautyrest Silver 18″ EverFirm Air Mattress because it’s easy to inflate, has a silent pump, is made from puncture-resistant vinyl, and leverages a coil-in-coil design to provide contoured comfort and pressure relief.
Click the red button below to learn more about the Beautyrest Silver 18″ EverFirm Air Mattress now.
- Design: air.
- Firmness: variable.
- Thickness: 18 inches.
6: Intellibed Midnight – Best Luxury Mattress
The best luxury mattress to buy on Mattress Firm is likely the Intellibed Midnight 16.25” Luxury Medium Mattress because, in addition to having a rating of 4.8/5 based on 70 real customer reviews at the time of writing, it comes with Talalay latex, a unique GelMatrixTM layer, and a 5 point zoned support core to provide luxurious comfort and support for a wide range of sleeper types.
This is a high-end mattress so be sure to click the red button below to see the latest discounts so that you can save some money when you buy the Midnight Luxury mattress.
- Design: hybrid – latex and gel over coils.
- Firmness: medium.
- Thickness: 16.25 inches.
- Front and back sleepers – the medium level of firmness and latex and gel grid works with the 8” Samson Coil Support System to help keep you in good posture as you lie on your front or back.
- Restless and combination sleepers – the latex and gel works to alleviate pressure points that may lead to restlessness in the first place, whilst the underlying coils can help to give you the buoyancy that you need to switch positions smoothly during the night without waking up due to the need to use a lot of force to move around in the materials.
- Warmer sleepers – if you tend to sleep warm then the Talalay latex, cooling cover, and phase-change material can help to increase airflow, dissipate heat, and regulate your temperature.
How to Buy a Mattress From Mattress Firm
Mattress Firm is an American mattress retailer that was founded on 4th July 1986 and has been owned by Steinhoff Holdings since 2016 .
Below I’ve listed the potential pros and cons of buying a mattress from a Mattress Firm store vs their website plus some tips for helping you to find a mattress that’s right for you.
If you go to MattressFirm.com, you can view mattresses by size, price, firmness, brand, and type – with further options to sort the result by sleeping positions, rating, and name to make your search easier.
Below are the benefits of ordering your mattress directly from Mattress Firm’s website:
- Discounts – discounts of up to 50% or more may be available site-wide or for specific models throughout the year, with big discounts often being available around Black Friday, Presidents Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Veterans Day.
- Trusted brands – Mattress Firm stock mattresses from some of the biggest and most trusted brands in the mattress industry like Tempur-Pedic, Beautyrest, Purple, Serta, Sealy, Stearns & Foster, and Tuft & Needle.
- Mattress Matcher Tool – use Mattress Firm’s Mattress Matcher Tool to help pinpoint your perfect mattress by answering 6 questions about your preferred sleep position, ideal firmness, sleep disturbances (chills, sleeping hot, pain, allergies, restlessness, snoring, pain, and others), physical characteristics (height, weight, broad shoulders, broad hips), mattress size, and the number of sleepers (single, couple, kids, pets).
- Accessories – Mattress Firm also sell headboards, bed frames, bedding, pillows, pet beds, kids beds, weighted blankets, sleep bundles, massagers, and baby cribs.
- Free shipping – Mattress Firm offers free shipping along with other delivery plans (with an extra charge) that have features such as old mattress removal.
- 120-night sleep trial – you can return your mattress for an exchange in the 21 – 120 night period.
- Financing – Mattress Firm offer financing available from 0% APR over 6-60 months.
- Low price guarantee – if you find a lower price for the mattress that you purchased within 120 days Mattress Firm will refund the difference.
- Quick comparison – you can quickly compare 100s of mattresses on Mattress Firm’s website more easily than you could in store.
- Online help – you can connect with a ‘sleep expert’ via web-chat or phone to get some guidance in finding the right mattress for your specific needs.
- Less pressure – whilst it can be helpful to talk to a sales rep in person, ordering online removes a lot of the pressure so that you have time to think and make a less impulsive decision.
- Save time – with the help of the sleep experts and the Mattress Matcher Tool (plus this guide!) you can order your new mattress in just a few clicks without having to leave your house and travel to a store.
There aren’t really a lot of cons to buying a mattress online from Mattress Firm, but here are the mains ones to consider:
- Can’t try the mattress – whilst lying on a mattress in the store isn’t the best way to find out if you like the mattress (because it can take up to 30-60 nights for the mattress to adjust to your physical characteristics and become comfortable), you may find it useful to just touch the mattress to get an idea of the overall feel.
- No face-to-face contact – whilst there’s online and over the phone help available, you may prefer to go to a store if you’d like to talk to the sales rep directly.
Many of Mattress Firm’s perks such as the sleep trial and low price guarantee are also valid when you buy in-store so you may actually prefer the retail experience if you’d rather talk to someone in person and/or try the mattresses out first hand.
3: Mattress Selection
Regardless of whether you buy online or in-store, you should consider the following points before you make your purchase in order to increase the chance of you ending up with a mattress that’s right for you.
When picking a mattress firmness, if you’re a front, back, or side sleeper that weighs between 130 and 230 lbs then a ‘medium’ will likely be suitable for you.
However, if you fall on the heavier end of that spectrum and you’re a front or back sleeper then a ‘medium-firm’ or ‘firm’ can help to stop you from sinking too far into the materials.
Whilst ‘medium-soft’ and ‘soft’ mattresses are generally better for side sleepers and lighter weighted sleepers under 150 lbs because they allow you to sink more deeply into the materials to remove the pressure on your hips, shoulders, and joints.
It can be quite confusing trying to figure out which type of mattress to buy, so here’s a summary overview:
- Hybrid – hybrid mattresses offer a mixture of springs in the support layer and foam (latex, memory foam, or polyfoam) in the top layer. Hybrid mattresses are suitable for all sleeper types and are arguably the best type of mattress because they balance pressure relief with support and are very cooling.
- Memory foam (all-foam) – mattresses made from memory foam excel at providing pressure relief on the more angular regions of your body; making them a popular choice for sleepers with lower body fat, a lighter body weight, and side sleepers. The drawback is that some memory foam mattresses can sleep hot.
- Latex foam (all-foam) – latex foam mattresses tend to sleep cooler than memory foam, are more bouncy, and still offer great pressure relief. The downside is that the high quality natural and organic latex mattresses tend to be very expensive.
- Traditional spring – traditional spring mattresses are cheap, bouncy, and cooling. But they often don’t last as long or provide the exceptional support and pressure relief that a high-quality hybrid mattress can.
- Air bed – air mattresses can operate as a permanently fixed bed or can be inflated on demand for guest rooms depending on the model. The main benefit is that you can adjust the firmness for custom comfort, whilst the main con is the length of assembly and the potential for air leaks.
Beyond the firmness and the design, here are a few specific considerations that could help to improve the comfort of your mattress:
- Cooling features – ventilated foams, gel foam, and aerated designs can help to regulate your temperature (cooling features are key in a memory foam mattress).
- Thickness – the average mattress thickness is 10-12 inches and should be adequate for sleepers up to 230 lbs but you may prefer a deeper profile if you weigh more than this to guard against sinkage and discomfort.
- Adjustable frame – buying a compatible adjustable frame can help to alleviate conditions like sleep apnea, back pain, and acid reflux.
Here are the answers to some of the common questions related to Mattress Firm:
Are Mattress Firm’s Mattresses Any Good?
Are Mattress Firm Mattresses More Expensive?
You may find that some Mattress Firm mattresses are more expensive (especially when buying in-store) compared to buying directly from the manufacturer/mattress company – although this might not always be the case (be sure to compare online to find the best price).
Do Mattress Firm Take Old Mattresses?
Mattress Firm will remove your old mattress as part of their Gold, Platinum, and Diamond delivery service (this costs extra).
Conclusion: Buy Online
Whilst shopping in-store is a viable option, I recommend buying online with Mattress Firm if you want to save the most about of time and money.
Click the button below to go to MattressFirm.com to see their entire mattress range now.
Sources and References
 Wikipedia – Mattress Firm. Accessed 2/11/20.
Image Licencing and Attribution
All images provided by MattressFirm.com – used with permission as per the terms of a private affiliate agreement.
Dan is the founder and head content creator at Bedroom Style Reviews.
He has been working as a professional online product reviewer since 2015 and was inspired to start this website when he ended up sleeping on a memory foam mattress that was too soft and gave him backache.
Through in-depth research and analysis, Dan’s goal with this website is to help others avoid such pitfalls by creating the best online resource for helping you find your ideal mattress, bedding, and bedroom furniture.
Dan is a qualified NVQ Level 2 Fitness Instructor with 6 years’ experience helping clients improve their health through diet, exercise, and proper sleep hygiene.
He also holds several college and university-level qualifications in health sciences, psychology, mathematics, art, and digital media creation – which helps him to publish well researched and informative product reviews as well as articles on sleep, health, wellbeing, and home decor.
Dan also has direct personal experience with insomnia, anxiety, misophonia (hypersensitivity to sounds), and pain from both acute and long-standing sporting injuries – he enjoys writing insightful articles around these subjects to help fellow sufferers of such conditions.
Learn more about Dan here.